Vajrasana, also called the Thunderbolt pose or the Diamond pose, is a simple sitting yoga pose which is usually practiced by practitioners at the starting stages of their yoga practice. It is also used during meditation to sit for longer periods of time.
Thunderbolt pose steps, benefits and precautions
The name of the pose is based on two Sanskrit words.
- ‘Vajra’ meaning thunderbolt
- ‘Asana’ meaning pose
In this pose, you kneel and sit back on your legs. The pressure is not put on the knees. This asana is very beneficial for your digestive system and is used extensively for meditation as well.
How to do the thunderbolt pose or the diamond pose?
Here is a step by step guide for the thunderbolt pose or vajrasana.
Stand straight with both arms straight, loose on the sides of your body. Now, bend in the forward direction and get down on your knees on the yoga mat.
If you don’t have a lot of practice, it is advisable to use a thicker yoga mat as it will provide better support while you stay in the Thunderbolt pose without too much physical discomfort.
Now place your heels under your pelvis. Ensure that your toes are pointing in the upward direction. Big toes of both your feet should be touching in this position.
Take a deep breath and exhale. While exhaling, shift your weight on the legs completely. In this pose, your thighs should be pressing the calf muscles and the toes should just be close and not over each other.
If your yoga mat is not able to give you sufficient support in this position and you are feeling discomfort in your feet and ankles, you can use accessories like a yoga towel to give some additional support to your feet.
Put your hands on knees in a relaxed condition and ensure that the palms of your hands are facing in the upward direction.
Keep your neck straight and focus right in front of you.
Hold this asana for a period of 5 to 10 minutes depending on your ability. During this step, focus on your breathing pattern and carefully observe your body with each incoming and outgoing breath.
Benefits of the thunderbolt pose
- Vajrasana/Thunderbolt pose is extremely helpful in improving digestion, provides relief from constipation and helps in reducing acidity.
- It is extremely helpful for meditation and helps in achieving a calm and stable mind.
- The pose also helps in improving strength of thigh muscles and reduces knee and back pain.
- Thunderbolt pose also helps in improving blood circulation in the abdominal part and helps in reducing obesity as well.
- Vajrasana is also very helpful in reducing issues of the urinary system.
Precautions and Contraindications
- If you suffer from a knee injury or have undergone any issues in your leg joints, it is advisable to not practice Vajrasana as it will put pressure on your legs.
- Pregnant women should avoid practicing this asana.
- People with issues like Hernia should also avoid the pose.